The History of Lodge Mother Kilwinning , Museum and Lodge Room
Solid Silver Seal Lodge Mother Kilwinning

Solid Silver Seal of 1779 and Lodge Stamp


The Silver Seal of Lodge Mother Kilwinning was used for sealing charters issued by the Mother Lodge It was first used on the 8th October 1779 by the Most Worshipful Grand Master of Kilwinning, Archibald Earl of Eglintoune for the granting of a charter to the High Knight Templars of Ireland, Kilwinning Lodge No.75.

The Stamp bearing the Mother Lodge Crest belonging to the late brother Robert Wylie P.M. and Lodge Secretary until his death in 1892. Presented to the Mother Lodge of Scotland in July 2003 by his great granddaughter Jean Wylie from New Zealand.

Old Masonic Charge Book

Old Charge Book 1671-1675

Old Masonic Charge Book which dates back to 1671-1675. This old Masonic charge book details the Masonic history and charges, for example the Master Mason must provide 7 years work for the Entered Apprentice

The auld oak charter chest Tray decorated by butterfly wings Coins from the foundation stone 3D matchstick Lodge model Walrus made of soapstone Lord Eglinton Masonic apron Victoria Lodge banner Australia Working tools presented to MK0

Interesting  items on display include the Gavel, used by our Right Worshipful Master at Lodge meetings which is made from the timber of the old Lodge building of 1779, the Secretary. and Treasurers chairs in the East of the Lodge room were purchased in 1809 and an early Past Masters jewel  presented in 1735,  housed in a wooden jewel case made from the roof timber of the old Kilwinning Abbey of 1140.

From 1140 - 1560 the masons met in the Chapter House, in Kilwinning Abbey. However after the reformation, when the Abbey was destroyed, they met in local houses, the most famous one being  known as "The Masons Howf ", situated at the Old Cross in Kilwinning. They were later given permission to use the Earl of Eglinton's Courthouse in the town. Then thanks to the generosity of the Earl of Eglinton, in 1779 the Old Lodge was built at the entrance to Kilwinning Abbey. Regrettably this fell into disrepair and in 1893, the present day Lodge was consecrated, by the Hon. Thomas Cochrane, M.P., R.W.M, of the Mother Lodge, and as such the P.G.M. of Ayrshire.

R.W.M. Bro. Thomas Cochrane


Copyright 2000 Lodge Mother Kilwinning No.0

The Mother Lodge of Scotland